Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick was an interesting, well-paced read. I listened to the audiobook while travelling and found the storyline to be engaging and intriguing.

The Silver Linings Playbook is written from the perspective of a mentally ill man named Pat Peoples. Pat is released from an institution and is living with his parents as long as he doesn't cause trouble. Unwilling to accept that he and his wife have been separated for several years, he holds onto the hope they'll reunite in the future - not even hope, though. He knows they'll reunite.
Author, Matthew Quick

In the meantime, he has some close calls with losing his temper. He sees a therapist who he bonds with over the love of Eagles football. He meets a strange girl, Tiffany, also scarred by loss and Pat struggles with his feelings toward her. Over time, she'll join him for runs, teach him to dance and become the closest person to him - or perhaps the most dangerous. Being unstable herself, will she set Pat off and be the cause of a return to a facility?

Tiffany was a fascinating character and I admired her intentions. When we first meet her, I was less than impressed and wished nothing more than to see her walk off stage right and fall down the steps. But I warmed up quickly to her dark yet charming character. And Pat, dangerously fragile, is also loving and adorable. His perception of the world around him and his eternal thoughtfulness kept me laughing, learning and thinking alongside him.

If there's one thing Quick knows how to do, it's create dynamic characters. By the end of the novel I felt like I had made new friends. I enjoyed them thoroughly and will carry them with me as a song in my heart.

I encourage you to check for The Silver Linings Playbook at your local library or purchase it from Amazon. You can also watch the film based on the novel on Netflix starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence or purchase it as well from Amazon. I have yet to see the film, but I've heard only positive reviews from those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment