Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

As a fan of Stephen King, I jumped right into Mr. Mercedes as soon as it was delivered to my doorstep. I wasn't disappointed whatsoever. In fact, I struggled finding a stopping point because I would become so engrossed in the story.

Mr. Mercedes is an exciting read as we jump back and forth between protagonist (retired cop Bill Hodges) and antagonist (Brady Hartsfield, mentally unstable and living with mom). Due to a number of factors, Brady's life was troubled from birth. His alcoholic mother offers no comfort, just additional stress. Brady's had enough and crashes - he crashes through a crowd of people with a stolen Mercedes. The thrill is medicinal, but he's seeking another.

Author, Stephen King
Here enters Bill Hodges, the retired cop who never found Brady (the Mercedes killer). Retirement is tough for him and he struggles with thoughts of suicide. Only when Brady starts playing with fire, teasing Bill anonymously, does he step up out of his gloom and into danger to solve the case once and for all.

My favorite part of Mr. Mercedes has to be the internal moments with Brady Hartsfield. I can't recall a character I've read about in the past which struck me so significantly. Brady is sick - really sick. His thoughts are twisted, his actions are questionable, his health is wavering and no one is safe. King paints a picture so raw yet real of this danger through the thoughts of Brady.

I encourage you to check for Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King at your local library. You can also purchase Mr. Mercedes on Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete