Saturday, August 8, 2015

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Puberty, improv, breastfeeding, oh my!

Lately as I would traverse the town by foot, I would hurriedly put my headphones in and prepare myself for a few solid laughs before reaching my destination. No headphones, no problem. I'd put my phone to my ear on speaker held like a slice of toast. Sure, in the beginning I tried to limit the public laughter to avoid being seen as completely insane, but by the end I was laughing and smiling so much it hurt and didn't care who watched. Tina Fey is to blame.

I would highly recommend listening to Tina read her book Bossypants via the audiobook format. There's no other way to fully appreciate her intended accents here and there, the whispers, the tone of thoughts, etc. And who doesn't love hearing fantastic stories told by their owner? And many of the stories are only fantastic because Tina has an excellent sense of humor about what some of us might consider bad luck or life hiccups.

Author, Producer, Actress and
Comedian Tina Fey (without the hairy arms)
Did I mention Tina Fey is a mad fan of the gays? That makes it super easy for me to love her (and her audiobook) that much more. She doesn't hold back and try to be delicate about gay people. Instead she treats us like regular yet extraordinary average Joes and Joannes. Her telling of adventures with the lesbians and gays in the book come from a place of honesty and fondness.

I don't want to spoil any specifics of the stories as I encourage you to get a copy asap and listen to them yourself. But everything from improvisation group adventures to a honeymoon gone awry to the pre-college daze will have you giggling if you're modest and guffawing if you're obnoxious.

Fey has proved again that women can be funny. So she can shove that in her critics' tailpipes. And Tina, if you need a co-writer for Bossypants: The Movie (Or Musical) you know where to find me.

You can check out Bossypants (the audiobook) or Bossypants (the novel) from your local library or purchase the novel on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment